Sunday, January 9, 2011

Heating It Up

Yesterday, we had our furnace replaced.

When we went off to Logan for Christmas we turned our thermostat down to 60 degrees to save on the gas bill. When we returned 4 days later we turned it back up, but the temperature wouldn't go higher than 62. After a week of shivering, hoping it would start working again, and, "I'll call the manager tomorrow," I finally call. He came but couldn't do anything. He sent a professional who takes a look at it, turns it right off, leaves us with a space heater and says don't turn it back on, it needed to be replaced. Our manager had another two guys look at it for a second opinion, who then have their boss look at it for a fourth opinion.

The conclusion, yes, it needed to be replaced.


But the worrisome part of it all was the conversations between my manager and the furnace guys which I happened to overhear some of. "You see how the flames were shooting through... wearing away the... and the ashes on the ground." "I can't believe this was still running. They have these in the Lennox Museums." "The safety has completely worn away... the Carbon Monoxide levels could have been really high." "No, the detectors don't always work."


After they left saying they would replace it the next day, my first thought was, "Wow, I'm glad we're all still alive and didn't burn down or suffocate in CO!"

My second thought was, "They really have furnace museums?"


After a lot of drilling, hammering and just plan banging on metal, we've got a new heater. Awww. It is nice to be warm.


The only down side is the layer of yellow dust and dead bugs the new heater is blowing out of the vents onto everything. All well, an excuse to deep clean.

2 comments:

Sister Ginger Cannon said...

Wow Missy. I am glad you are still alive too! Is this a pretty stingy manager? Thank goodness you are warm at last. Lucy's winters have not been very warm in Cedar City or there in Bountiful. Here's to a warm apartment for the rest of the winter and spring!

Rachel said...

I'm glad you got some heat... that was cold. How long were you with the space heater? The yellow dust and bugs is kind of gross. Good luck cleaning. Yeah for heat!