Death ends a life, not a relationship.
- Morrie Schwartz in Tuesdays with Morrie
I learned yesterday that Anthony "Tony" Eames, a family friend, passed away unexpectedly on Monday (he's in the far right of the above photo; my oldest brother Hal is far left). He was in his early 40s. Although I didn't know Tony that well (he was mainly my older siblings' friend), I'll always remember his ability to make others laugh.
While I sorrow for his loss and mourn with my siblings who mourn, I'm also grateful for death's didactic effect on those of us to whom it is given to continue mortality's march. Maybe that sounds strange, but let me explain.
I'm grateful for death because when people close to me pass away, their death causes me to reflect on the fragility of life. It reminds me of the need to focus on what matters most because I don't know when my last breath will be, nor do I know when my friends and family will move on.

1 comment:
It just hit me that I won't be asking what Tony's up to next time we plan a trip to Las Vegas. He probably barely knows me, but I always loved hearing about what he was doing. It feels like a little bit of the good old days died with him. There was only one Tony. Gonna miss him.
Post a Comment