Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Birthday Girl and Time

Now that we're ensconced in a fairly constant daily and weekly routine, time seems to pass faster and faster. And so in that spirit we celebrated another Missy birthday this week. Just like that, it came and went. The only means we possess of holding on to these fleeting moments are words and photos. 

Her birthday was on Monday, giving us a relaxing (well, as relaxing as it can be with two kids) three-day weekend. We enjoyed:

Roses


Brian Regan tickets


Dinner at The Brio (overrated Italian food, by the way). Special thanks to Vee and Paul for watching the girls so we could enjoy a peaceful dinner.


And an ice cream sandwich acting as a birthday cake


Thanks be to God for blessing us with the health and means to enjoy these things together.

And with that, it's back to the daily grind as we pine for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Wouldn't it be grand if life featured a pause or slow motion button for moments that matter most? 

I'm reminded of a poem by Carol Lynn Pearson, titled "Optical Illusion":

Time is a stage magician
Pulling sleight-of-hand tricks
To make you think things go

There—
Eclipsed by the quick scarf—
A lifetime of loves

Zip—
The child is man.
Zip—
The friend in your arms
Is earth.
Zip—
The green tree is gold, is white,
Is smoking ash, is gone.

Zip—
Time's trick goes on.
All things loved—
Now you see them, now you don't.

Oh, this world has more 
Of coming and of going
Than I can bear.
I guess it's eternity I want,
Where all things are
And always will be,
Where I can hold my loves
A little closer,
Where finally we realize—
Time
Is the only thing that really dies.

I can't wait for the time when there is "time no longer" (Rev. 10:6). 

2 comments:

Sister Ginger Cannon said...

Sammy - you're a romantic! Thanks for taking such good care of my baby girl!

Melissa Hislop said...

You forgot about the cheesecake - Oreo Dream Supreme. Oohhh, I was soooo spoiled!