Friday, December 2, 2011

Perspective

I forgot to be thankful for something during Thanksgiving - It was electricity.

Thursday Davis County, UT was hit with a fierce windstorm. If we were near the coast, it would have been a hurricane. Trees were knocked over and our power was out from about 5am to 12am Friday morning.
More than one of our neighbors trees were uprooted, fences were down, and the streets were littered with roof shingles but our ward seems to have escaped any serious damage.

As I watched through the window I saw mail boxes open and papers fly everywhere. I saw a plastic kiddy pool take a roll down our street and crash into our tree. I did happen to realize that it could be a lot worse, but I was angry at the loss of power and heat. I expected the power to come back on anytime, but when it didn't, I got nervous at the dropping temperature and the relentless wind.

Now, it is amazing to me how much we rely on electricity. I was thinking of what we could do since Lucy couldn't watch her morning movie while I showered. I thought 'well, I'll go do some sewing...oh. I'll vacuum...oh. Bake cookies? no...'

We were prepared with flashlights, a battery radio, and plenty of useable food but I worried at having to stay in a cold dark home all night. Luckily my sister in Murray offered to house us for the night and we took the refuge. Thank you again, Emily, for letting us stay and feeding us a warm meal.


Let us be grateful especially for the things we take for granted.

(And that we didn't have to wait in that line around the moon for McDonalds.)

3 comments:

Austin and Abrielle said...

Man, I can't believe the madness... Glad your okay.

Rachel said...

So scary:( I'm glad you had Emily's to go to. Hopefully you guys aren't hit by the next storm either and you keep your power- that's really hard not to have in the cold. Love you guys!

Amber said...

I am glad it wasn't us b/c I am totally not prepared. That storm was a big eye opener that I need to get my emergency preparedness things ready! Glad you guys are ok & had a place to stay in the meantime!