Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Croydon

 Labor Day weekend to me, means Croydon. It's just a little town up the canyon from Morgan, UT. Wikipedia says it has a few hundred residents which, I think, is an overstatement. My mother's family has been gathering there at the city park on Labor Day weekend for about 22 years. I have been there every single year except for once when Lucy was just a month old and we were living in Cedar City. It hasn't changed much over the years, but our family has. We probably double the population each year. My grandparents had 8 children so you can imagine how our family has grown over the years. This year I wanted to camp with my Lucy before our lives get a little more complicated so we packed up and all drove down late Saturday morning. Sammy stayed until evening then came back after church on Sunday.

(Photo Credit: April Delamare)
The cement plant nearby donated a new playground this year that is much more child friendly and much less spider infested.
 
 (Photo Credit: April Delamare)



 (Photo Credit: April Delamare)
 We had several downpours of rain over the few days we were there but we are used to it.  Luckily the sun came out in full force on Sunday so we could all dry out.

Life is hard when you don't get everything you want. Lucy only had 2 tantrums and was quite in heaven the rest of the time.

She slept great in the tent and woke up so cute that I am almost considering taking her camping again soon except that I slept so horribly.

Grandma was fabulous as usual entertaining TJ and Lucy. I think they went around the bowery at least 10 times after breakfast. She had bent down so I could take a picture of all three together when the two kids also bent down.

There is a nearly perpetual volleyball game going on starting Friday night to Monday morning. We have very lax rules - as long as the ball goes back and forth across the net anything goes, including off the bowery roof. I couldn't participate at all this year being a little to worried that I'd get smacked in the stomach, and with the way those teenage boys were hitting (as well as my rudimentary athleticism) that was a high possibility.

The rest of the time is taken up by games. You can't really tell but they are playing Bananagrams.

 I don't know exactly how many people came - my mother can give the statistics, but I sure love ALL these people and their little dogs :). Thank you again to the aunts for cooking for us all and to uncle Phil who always keeps us watered. I can't wait until next year!

6 comments:

Sister Ginger Cannon said...

Wow Missy! Great pictures giving a nice picture of what things look like there in Croydon. I hope you finally got some sleep. Glad Lucy had fun!

AJ and Cindy said...

I am so glad that April, whoever she is, took so many pictures for you to put on your blog! Hooray! LOL What a fun little weekend getaway for you guys, it looks like a lot of fun!

Katie Bryner said...

Those are some darling pictures of Lucy! And I can't believe how long your hair is getting. Has it really been that long since I've seen you??

Melissa Hislop said...

Cindy - Hey! I took most of those pictures, but I did steal the good ones from my cousin. Thanks, again April!

Than & Lina said...

Hooray for traditions!

Unknown said...

Cute blog post! Whenever I have kids I am going to place them strategically around April so that they will have good photos of their childhood ;) -Lucy is always pretty anyway, so April's skills are just a bonus. PS. are you laying in a bush while comforting Lucy in her tantrum??