Little Emmeline Joy Hislop was born on November 9, 2012 at 4:00am on the dot.
She was 6 lbs. 14 oz. and 19 inches long.
The Birth Story
I went into my 39 week appointment on Wednesday the 7th with light contractions and almost dilated to a 4. My midwife stripped my membranes (though not comfortable it isn't nearly as awful as it sounds) and was quite optimistic she'd see me later that day. I was too, but I went all day with only light and inconsistent contractions. By the evening we weren't sure what to do. We didn't want to wait until it turned into real labor and have my mother drive up from Logan in the middle of the night so we all decided that she better drive up that evening. She stayed that night and all the next day. Sammy even went to work in the morning but took the car so he could be back in 20 minutes if need be. By Thursday evening I was really frustrated with not knowing what to do. We finally called my midwife and she said we could go in that night if we wanted to though they'd probably have to start me on pitocin to get me progressing. We opted for going in and getting it over with. Once we made the decision to go my contractions finally started getting more consistent and stronger so we went to the hospital at 9pm.
My midwife came and broke my water, they gave me my IV (ouch!) then we waited around for a few hours while my contractions progressed but I was still only at a 5. They wanted to start me on a small pitocin drip so I asked for my epidural (because that's how I roll). They checked me at 3am and I was still a 5 but when they checked me at 3:25am I was at a 10! I pushed for only 15 minutes and little Emmy was born at 4pm sharp.
More pictures to come. It's hard to catch her with her eyes open.

3 comments:
Congrats MIssy! I am very worried about the 1-2 transition. SHe is so beautiful!
I love that you have a midwife and an epidural.
She's beautiful and I love the name. I have a sister named Emily or else Emmeline would have been on my list.
We should hang out when (if) you feel up to it. (Don't feel like you have to)
So exciting! I love your progress from a 5-10 and pushing time :) Anika was hard because she was colicky or something like that, but going from 1 kid to 2 sure has been SUPER hard for me! Good luck!!
Post a Comment